Profile

Since December 2010, I am involved with the People’s Party of Punjab (PPP). Highly inspired and motivated by the ideology and vision of S. Manpreet Singh Badal, I decided to join this party and lend my support to achieve the Party objective of making Punjab a growth-oriented state.

I am a graduate from the University of Oxford, where I earned the degree of ‘MSc. in Contemporary India’. This degree was an eye opening for me; it provided me a deep insight into the various issues facing India. I critically analysed the problems of poverty, unemployment, health, education, hunger, malnutrition and corruption. The degree significantly inspired me to work actively in India to make my contribution towards resolving these issues faced by people of India. As an intellectual, I think that PPP is the only Party in Punjab that is contesting agenda-based politics and through which I can actively involve with the society and contribute towards resolving the problems, at least of the people of Punjab.

I choose Punjab to be my working field, for I belong to this land and my grandparents had sacrificed their lives for it. I belong to a freedom-fighter family. My great grandfather, Comrade Achhar Singh Chhina, was a freedom fighter who worked closely with Subash Chander Boss during 1940s. He was the main social activist in Moga Morcha movement against British Empire. After Independence, he was elected as Member of Legislative Assembly in 1952 and 1957 from Ajnala. My grandfather, S. Jagbir Singh Chhina, is also a freedom fighter and politically active since 1935.

I joined S. Manpreet Singh Badal in December 2010 during his ‘Jaago Punjab Yatra’, which he started against the evils that are corroding our society, and strongly supported him during ‘Maghi Mela’ rally on 14th January 2011 and Khatkar Kalan rally on 27th March 2011. We successfully managed to motivate people to support Manpreet in his mission to make Punjab a growth-oriented state, free from corruption and other evils. Consequently, the people of Punjab showed their great support for People’s Party of Punjab (PPP).

I recently represented and promoted the Party in UK. I spread awareness about Party agenda and policies amongst the NRIs through face to face meetings, TV and Radio interviews.